Sunday, June 08, 2008

Eagerly anticipating stuffing my face

IMG_7119_1Everything you see here was hand weeded by me today. The neighbours let their lawn go to seed so there was grass everywhere. I also killed a lot of slugs.

If you're curious and you want to know what's planted there, you can look at the notes on the flickr page for the photo. I didn't list all the cultivars because it's late and I'm lazy. There are seven different kinds of beans, more than ten kinds of tomatoes, four kinds of carrots, etc. That's only really a third of it. On the other side of the garage there are grapes, pears, apples, figs, strawberries blueberries, squash and rhubarb.

I think next year it would be cool to tear up the remainder of the lawn in the back yard and plant quinoa and oats and go semi-zero-mile. I think lawns suck anyways.

I'm not really doing this because it's fashionable right now or because I want to save the earth. It's more because I'm a really picky eater and the stuff they import from California looks very nice but tastes like nothing and has less nutritional value than locally grown food because it's picked long before it's ripe. It's not real food. It's hybridized crap that has been bred to produce a uniform product that ships well, and not to taste good or be better for your health.

Not to mention, red tomatoes, orange carrots, red radishes, lettuce-only salads are boring. Wherever possible, food should look really cool because that amuses me.

So screw you, California. I'm going to eat my purple tomatoes and black and white cow spotted beans. I just wish there wasn't so much rhubarb to eat. So. Much. Rhubarb.

Lou helped me weed. She's good at that. The orange fencing is there to keep her from weeding when no one's around.

IMG_7128_1