Monday, June 16, 2008

Vagabond

I've had this little laptop for almost four years now so every once in a while I run into stuff tucked into little corners that I didn't even know I had. It's always weird because I like to think that I know my computer inside and out, but stranger things have happened.

After months of feeling really bored of my music, I did something really uncharacteristic for me, which was to put everything on shuffle and turn it up really loud. Eventually this played:



Beck + Air = awesomeness

I don't think I've heard it since 2004, when I was still trying unsuccessfully to convince myself that I hated electronic music because it was electronic.

I was also deep into a phase of trying to convince myself I loved indie music because it was indie, sidestepping the fact that some of it is awesome and unsigned or signed to smaller labels because it doesn't want to sell out or just hasn't been discovered yet, but some stuff is indie because it just sucks.

It was a phase not unlike and just as dumb as my "if it's mainstream, it sucks" phase. Yes, it's true that nothing on the radio is worth listening to, but that doesn't mean that being on the radio makes things suck. They're just strongly correlated, that's all.

Anyways, I have this song stuck in my head. It won't leave. I guess listening to it multiple times on repeat doesn't help with that.

It's the sort of thing that I would pick for a tap solo. It would piss Donna off because it's got too much of a groove for her to choreograph over because she lacked the genes for groove. I'd take it to festival and half the adjudicators would think it's cool and nail me on my sloppy technique, and the others would nail me for being unorthodox.

Because let's face it, the only song that you're allowed to tap dance to at festival is Love Shack.