Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Insomnia

IMG_57591_1So, what's new with you guys? My apartment has magically transformed itself into a sauna almost overnight because being more or less a penthouse, part of it is always in the sun, somewhere.

These days I'm existing in that kind of damp, sticky, sweaty state from which I don't seem to be able to find any sort of relief while I'm outside of the office. I know it's got to be bad when I keep putting water in the one end and nothing comes out the other.

So somewhere in all of this my brains have been baked out.

It also doesn't help that I haven't been sleeping well lately. Last week I had a couple of nights where I went to sleep a lot later than I'm used to and it's completely thrown me off. I'm tired around 2:00 in the afternoon and then I rally and by the time it's time to go to bed I'm wired.

I do this thing where I start to talk aloud to myself about things. Politics, maybe, or the time the cat rode all the way into Vancouver on the freeway on the roof of the car, or describing in minute detail the playhouse that my dad and I built for me (victorian arts and crafts style complete with a turret, stained glass windows and gingerbread trim) or Harold Adams Innis' time bias vs. space bias.

It doesn't really matter what it is. It's just that once I start talking while I'm laying in bed, trying to sleep, I can't stop. So an hour and a half later, I'm still laying there, perhaps curled up in a different position, now talking aloud, trying to sort out my feelings about a death or someone I haven't yet forgiven for something.

And once I finish that, I have to start the long, drawn out process of trying to fall asleep, which could take hours. Every night's a battle.