Monday, November 05, 2007

I'm getting spinsterly in my old age

IMG_1899_1My dad was working late tonight so he called me to see if I wanted to go out and get a salad or something because he seems to have something against my cooking. The doctor's put him on a crazy restrictive diet so our options were pretty narrow but we managed to find a place.

And it suddenly comes out over dinner that my mom secretly thinks that I'm going to die old and alone and my dad thinks I'm probably getting too comfortable living alone in a penthouse. And what am I going to do for the rest of my life? And do I have any plans? And what about this Tom guy?

Well, obviously they don't read my blog because I've already written out the reasons I'm not your girlfriend, but mostly it comes down to me being perpetually uncool and perpetually not interested in anyone. The world is full of a lot of people who make perfectly fine friends or acquaintances, but not very many that I genuinely feel are worth my time. So it's just as well that I get zero attention. (That is, if you don't count this guy, but I'd rather not have him count.)

I maintain what I've always said. I really wouldn't mind being a brain in a jar, especially if they could feed me with some sort of cheese flavoured nutrient water. Preferably oka, but a good sharp cheddar would suffice.

If not that then maybe a tenured position at some university somewhere. I want my own office with so many stacked books it's hazardous, a thick wool rug and ivy on the windows so that I can refuse to retire and expire over one of my books one day, only to be discovered a week or two later.