Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Articulation

“Is that bus going to Coquitlam?” he asked me, “because I only like to ride the articulated busses. They don’t come here often, you know.”

“No, they don’t.”

“I bet that bus is going to Coquitlam, otherwise it wouldn’t be sitting there. Why else would it be sitting there if it wasn’t going to Coquitlam?”

“Maybe it is.”

“Are you going to Coquitlam?”

“Yes.”

“Good, I am too. Actually I want to go to Haney, but that bus is always late so I’m going to Coquitlam and then I’ll catch the Haney bus there.”

“Why don’t you catch the Haney bus here?" I say. "It could save you some time.”

“What?” He looks confused. He’s about thirtyish.

“I mean the Haney bus comes in about eight minutes and then it will take about 10 minutes to get where you’re going. If you take the bus into Coquitlam and then transfer to the Haney bus there, it’s going to bring you right back here and take an extra hour and a half.”

He still looks puzzled. “That bus isn’t going to Coquitlam, is it? Because it’s articulated and why else would it be sitting there? Do you know what time it is? Let’s synchronize our watches.”

“Sorry, I don’t have my watch with me.” The bus to Coquitlam comes. I get on. He begins to ask the bus driver if the other bus is going to Coquitlam. “Who cares?” he says, “I’m going to Coquitlam.” And as the man starts to explain his love for articulated busses, the doors close and we leave him standing at the bus stop.