Saturday, June 25, 2005

Dance recital number one

Before we went to the theatre we stopped in at Hon's for some soup and some sort of unusual dish with mushrooms and tofu. Walking out of the restaurant, dad opened his fortune cookie, which said "romance and travel come together at this time". He handed it to the person to his left, thinking it was my mother. Instead it was a big man with no neck. I saw that one coming, but sometimes it's more fun to let nature take its course.

Once again I am stagerunning and once again in spite of all the panic backstage I am the calmest person to be found. People ask me how I do it and the answer is that nothing good has ever been accomplished by mass hysteria, so I refuse to contribute to it.

I am always pleasantly surprised by the number of boys we have dancing. Dance always seems to get a bad rap as a 'gay' thing for guys to do, so the fact that we have 35+ in a dance school of slightly less than 200 is quite a feat.

The breakdancing numbers were really good. Their teacher is amazing. I wish that I had a picture of him on stage that I could post. Next year I will definitely take pictures for the website, if I can find time away from running around trying to find people who are never in the places where they're supposed to be.

Earlier this year I was seriously considering retiring my shoes for good. Then I agreed to be the school webmaster because it is ridiculous that the in this day and age they don't have a website. (It will be almost as unsexy as this blog. Whatever.) In exchange for that, I get free dance lessons, so I have to decide now what I want to do. I think I'll wait on that a little while longer.