Sunday, June 05, 2005

Tourist in my own town

It was a cold, wet, windy day so I decided to do touristy things at Steveston, knowing full well that the tourists won't be out. I bought a flower pot from a new shop and the owner started cheering, giggling and thanking me profusely. I take it business has been slow. Oh well, I made her day. The pot will soon join all the other blue ceramic pots in my front yard. Maybe I have too many.

I also saw a very cool gargoyle that would have looked really cool in my garden, or even in my hall but it was much too expensive for me today. The best things always are. I guess I'll have to make my own. I will make a big dinosaur while I'm at it because there aren't enough giant ceramic dinosaurs in the world.

A quick trip to the boats tied up at the docks got me enough fish for several months. I'll keep it all in my freezer for the next time I feel like catching a salmon for dinner.

At the bookstore the little Japanese man watches from behind the counter as I thumb through a couple of Greek tragedies. "Thank you so much for coming, you always buy books when you come here," he says, quietly giving me a discount, unknown to the rest of the people in the store. I only visit that store once or twice each year, so it's nice that he remembers me.

In spite of the rain, the swans were still swimming on the river. I never figured out exactly why there are so many swans there and nowhere else, but they're pretty, so it doesn't matter.