Thursday, June 16, 2005

Sucked in

Zosie's upstairs vacuuming her floors again. She loves that thing to death.

She told me proudly that she had paid $3500 for it, carefully reciting all the reasons she bought it, or rather everything from the pitch the salesman had given her. It was like she was trying to prove to herself after the fact that she had spent her money well, that she had not been sucked in by clever marketing.

While she was eagerly telling me about pollen and her children's health I thought about how the same amount would easily pay for a semester's tuition, books and coffee. I guess our priorities are just different. I care about school, she cares about dust mites. She will continue to be employed at the Save On Foods while I, hopefully, will be able to find some more gainful employment. Then maybe I will consider buying an outrageously overpriced vacuum cleaner, even though in my house it wouldn't exactly get used very often.

She uses the noisy beast every day. Sometimes twice a day, which though not a problem right now, gets really irritating while I'm trying to study. I hope she gets her money's worth out of it.