Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Cox seat, here I come!

20 pounds by September. At least that's the goal.

I took a long hard look the other day at the things that I do and realized that I really miss rowing. I think it's sad that it took me a year to realize that. But at this point in time I can't just go back. I wasn't particularly fast to begin with, because I am so short. To tell the truth, I spent most of my time washing other people's boats, but it didn't matter too much because I liked it.

In November of 2003 I was in an accident and hurt my back. I wasn't able to hold my own in the boat anymore so I became very disillusioned and quit. I probably shouldn't have, but that's what I did. I kept telling myself that when my back got better I would go back to rowing. A year and a half later, my back has improved, but not as much as I had hoped for.

The fact remains that I have to do something. From March to May of 2003 I realized that I could no longer be competitive racing as an open/heavyweight. I dropped 25 pounds so I could be a lightweight by the summer. It was not fun, but I did it, became more competitive and received a million and a half compliments about how good I looked.

I think I'll do it again, only this time my sights are set on the coxswain's seat. Right now, that's the only way that I can continue to compete so I will take it. The only catch is that I have to lose another 20 pounds.

I can do it, only I won't do stupid things like I did last time.