Friday, June 03, 2005

Bosco has left the building.

My phone number was assigned to me four years ago. It is unlisted so that in theory, only people who know me will call and I will be able to avoid telemarketers and political campaigners. For the most part it has worked.

About a year ago some people started calling and asking for a guy named Bosco. No big deal, just a wrong number, right? I'm guessing not, because over the course of one month, five seperate people called for him. Then there was another the next month and a couple more the next. After a while they stopped, and I thought that it was over.

Then all of a sudden, they started again. A lady phoned me at 2 am and our conversation was as follows:

"Hello?"
(pause) "Oh, I thought you were Bosco."
"No, you've got the wrong number."
"No I don't."
"I don't know Bosco. Sorry."
"Are you sure?"

And it continued on from there before I finally hung up. She phoned back minutes later. I was a little surprised when she asked me if I was telling the truth. It's 2 in the morning, I'm trying to sleep and all I want is for her to leave me alone, why would I lie?

No. I really don't know. I might know Bosco. Maybe we went to school together. No, that can't be it. Oh yeah, I remember now! I stole his phone last Tuesday and now I'm just fucking with you.