Wednesday, June 29, 2005

If there were zombies on the bus, would he wake up?

On my way back from work, I ran into Ryan. Conversations with Ryan on the bus always happen this way:

We meet at the bus stop and begin to talk about courses and movies we've seen, people we have (or have not) seen since high school and the general unfairness of life, papers and tuition fees. Then we get on the bus in the middle of a lively discussion about philosophy and the ethics of euthanasia or placing cameras in public places. We usually sit in the middle, over the wheel wells, where two rows of seats face each other.

We sit across from each other, still talking until the bus lurches forward, somehow jerking all the energy from him. He stops midsentence, slumps forward, and is completely unconscious for the duration of the ride. It's kind of weird when he does that. I envy people who can fall asleep so easily.

I pull out a book and start skimming, hilighter in hand, pausing once to look up and notice that his hair has a little more grey in it today than it usually does. I have a hunch the reason has something to do with why he's so soundly asleep.

We step off the bus half an hour later, resuming our conversation almost exactly where it was interrupted. "Have you seen Batman Begins?" he asks, "It's good, but I hear Land of the Dead is Better." I hadn't heard much about it, save some rather creepy advertising in Toronto. Apparently it is really good because it has zombies that can think.

I don't know. Regardless of how gorey and violent these movies are, they always seem to make me laugh hysterically. I don't watch them in theatres lest I get chased out by a lynch mob of angry theatre patrons. My next bus comes and I take my leave.

It must have been a slow news week for the Peak.