Sunday, June 12, 2005

Triangle

It was finally the end of the school year for everybody, so we had a party, and a good party it was.

It was nice to see everyone together again. The beautiful man was finally back from nine months in Quebec and it seems to have done him a lot of good. He also brought back a souvenir from his travels: the beautiful woman Mary-Lee. She's very nice, attractive, friendly and a little quiet, but that might have been because she didn't know many people there. A nice person, regardless, and I'm glad that he's found someone.

We set up a couple of amps in Steph's kitchen and started jamming. He on guitar, she on violin and Steph and I sang. I'm a terrible singer, but that's nothing that a couple shots of rum won't fix. Other people joined in sometimes, but mostly they came and went. We played all of the songs that we used to play when we were in high school, stuff by Pink Floyd, Billy Idol, Bryan Adams and David Bowie. Steph left after an hour and we started plunging into songs that Mary-Lee didn't seem to know. Gradually he started to forget the chords and I forgot the words and we just ended up staring at each other, smiling. It was fun because we haven't jammed in ages.

"It's 11:00. I'm supposed to stop playing now," he said, and I looked over at Mary-Lee, who had put down her violin and was now staring at us. We made an odd triangle. I suddenly felt really uncomfortable and left the room. I guess I shouldn't have felt that way. We're just friends, right?