Monday, January 09, 2006

Have filing cabinet, will travel

We got into our new student union common room today only to find that someone had stolen all our houseplants. This launched Heather into a huge rant about how pissed off she was and we took a long time to convince her that she shouldn't complain because we had originally stolen them from someone else a couple of weeks ago. Maybe whoever it was just decided to take them back.

Even though we had left instructions for the movers, we arrived to find that the most important things that we had wanted (ie. the filing cabinet and the two bouncy, squishy rolley chairs) were not there. We borrowed a TV cart from the audio-visual department and went exploring.

Our filing cabinet was still in the old room, with the 'please move this' sticker missing, as if someone had decided that they should just keep it there. It took the four of us to manhandle the filing cabinet into a rather precarious position on top of the cart. Our efforts were punctuated by the painful squeal of metal on metal. One of the bouncy squishy rolley chairs was in the room and we took that with us too.

You have to be truly suicidal to use some of the wheelchair ramps at SFU.

Luckily none of us are in wheelchairs and it really wasn't all that hard to do, especially since there were four of us.

Elevators are different. Out of the three that were available, no ammount of swearing could make enough room for that damn filing cabinet in the first two we tried. The third would have been the same, but with a little more manhandling and plenty of four-letter words, we made it fit.

I'm so glad we saved the chair.

Trips to the Chan Centre never disappoint. Yesterday, Jon Kimura Parker played a concerto by Mozart, something that I'm sure I've heard many times before, but it was completely different from the recordings. It's interesting how even though the notes are written down the same, everyone's interperetations can be so different. I guess you can say the same thing about live theatre too.

After the intermission, his brother, James, accompanied him on stage to play a duet that was really amazing to watch. Then their cousin Ian came out on stage and all three of them played together. I have never seen three Steinway pianos on one stage before, and I'm not sure if I will ever see that again. It was a treat.

I took pictures at the Chan, but my computer tells me that I no longer have space on my hard drive. I'll fix it tomorrow.