Monday, January 16, 2006

New dentist


As you can imagine, I was trembling in excitement when I got up at an ungodly hour this morning. I've had a toothache for a while now so I decided that I would go in to have it checked out. The appointment was nice and early, because I hate having dentist appointments after lunch, when I have food stuck between my teeth.

Since this was a new dentist, I had to go through the obligatory session where they pick at all your teeth and in my case, wonder why I am missing some very strange teeth for me to be missing. I have no idea why they took those out in the first place, but I seem to remember that when they pulled them, someone had to hold my head down on the chair, probably good evidence that they shouldn't have been pulled in the first place.

The diagnosis?

I do a good job brushing my teeth.
I don't floss as much as I should.
I drink too much coffee and my teeth are stained.
I had a filling thing that needed to be fixed. They fixed it.
Apparently I brush my teeth too hard in the bottom front and that's bad. I'll need some sort of scary sounding gum grafting if I keep it up.

The strangest thing of all though, was that I seem to have an extra tooth floating around in my gums. They said it looked like a baby tooth, but to me it looked more like a piece of corn. It's impacted some other teeth and that's what's causing my toothache.

What I don't understand is why no one noticed it before. It's not like I haven't ever been to the dentist, or I've never had an x-ray. Why did this thing only show up now?

It's going to take surgery to remove it. I think I'll wait a few more months.

The dentist seems to be a nice guy though. I like him better than my last one.