Thursday, January 12, 2006

No one said democracy made sense


If anyone causes any sort of disturbance at my polling station on January 23, such as trying to vote twice or waving a gun around, apparently either myself or one of my colleagues is to:

a) don't worry, because the gun is probably registered

b) fill out one of the warrants supplied by Elections Canada

c) inform the individual that he/she is under arrest

d) inform the individual that he/she has the right to seek legal counsel

e) make arrangements to get legal counsel for the individual

f) make arrangements for the individual to be transported to the nearest police department

g) write up a report the incident

h) guard the polling box with our lives

I genuinely hope that I read my manual wrong, though it is entirely possible that I didn't. The rules were made up in Ottawa, which means they're bound to be stupid and impractical.

For example: my mother went to go get a passport. Because she works a couple of blocks away from the passport office, she asked if she could pick it up there herself. She could, of course, but that would cost her $10 to do. If, however, she lets the government waste money to send it by registered mail to our house, it won't cost her a thing. In Ottawa, this makes perfect sense.

"In all fairness," the Elections Canada workshop leader said to us, "if someone is waving a gun at you, give them your ballot box so that no one gets hurt. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll get sent to jail...

"But if that happens, at least you'll still be able to vote."

Apparently voting starts tomorrow for all the lucky people who wake up in jail in the morning.

I'm going to go reread that manual...