Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The world is flat


I opened up my textbooks this morning with the intention of doing some prereading before school starts next week. No such luck. Today my brain is fried.

I went instead to the pub with Kathy but it was closed for repairs. No such luck there either. We went in search of textbooks and cheap food and alcohol, but mostly we just wasted our time. I'm glad that we get to ride the busses for "free".

We searched the entire bookstore for Andy so we could harass him with a huge list of books that we could probably easily find ourselves. No such luck. He was nowhere to be found, that is, until we arrived at the checkout. We picked him out of the line and bugged away. I was thrown off momentarily by the fact that his name tag said "Sam", but it was him alright.

Usually we would take Lauren with us on these forays, but she's still on vacation somewhere and to be honest, I was kind of glad that she wasn't there today. Sometimes I get tired of listening to her complain about how irritating her brother is, household chores, homework for her (oh my god) three courses and not having the right shoes for a particular outfit, especially since her problems all seem to transcend the incredible limits of mortal suffering.

I can only hear about so much pain and anguish before my head explodes.

Somehow or other, every minute detail of everything we talk about manages to make it back to Lauren's mother, who then tells Kathy's father. If he were to heaven forbid hear about all the lewd and uncatholic things we get up to at parties, I'm sure she would never hear the end of it.

Since Lauren wasn't there, it was the perfect time for Kathy to admit that she was really shocked at how I wasn't the least bit hungover when I woke up at her house on January 1st, considering how drunk I was the night before. Not that that is really a surprise, considering the fact that I'm descended from a long line of charlatans, horse theives and raving alcoholics. But I guess that people wouldn't know that.