Saturday, April 22, 2006

Amazing disappearing grandmother

Sometime early this morning my mother got a phone call from my uncle in Ontario, asking where my grandmother was. Unaware that she was anywhere other than Chilliwack General Hospital, we were a little surprised.

Apparently my aunt had had Grandma moved to another care facility and hadn't bothered to tell us. A little rude, methinks, especially when we know that if Uncle Lloyd hadn't have called, we would have driven out to Chilliwack to see her and not find her there, just like the last time she was moved.

My aunt just moved as well and has changed her phone number, so we had no idea what it was. We began by looking up the websites and phone numbers of hospitals that we figured she might be at right now, and eventually we found her.

That being said, I'm happy that she has been moved. The place she is in now is much closer to where both us and my aunt live and it's in a place where she might be able to go outside in her wheelchair to go shopping or sit in the garden.

The room where she was before had three other women in it. Margaret had suffered a massive stroke and though you could tell that her mind was fine, she wasn't able to move or speak. The other two had at one point in time been energetic, pleasant ladies but since December, both have fallen ill and silent. Because they are sick, the staff keep the lights off and the door closed. When we were last there, the room was dark and quiet, and you could tell that it definitely bothered my grandmother.

I hope that it is a good change for Grandma. I just wish that some of my other relatives weren't such arrogant twits.