Sunday, April 30, 2006

Puntable dogs

The sale at Opus was fun. I stocked up on enough sketchbooks, cartridge paper, charcoal, picture frames and portfolios to keep me going for a while, so now I have absolutely no excuse to not do anything.

The crowning jewel in my new collection of art supplies is a Vincent van Gogh action figure, complete with an easel, sketchbook and paint set. I checked the box for a knife to cut off his ear but no such luck.

What better way to celebrate than to fall headfirst out of the side door of a vehicle?

That's exactly what I did. I lost my balance and after a very long moment of thinking

there-is-nothing-that-I-can-possibly-do-to-change-the- direction-I-am-now-moving,

I landed on my face on the asphalt. I have some slight abrasions on my cheek and largeish bruises on my wrist and my right ankle, as well as miscellaneous aches in other places.

It was weird.

We checked out the new Coquitlam Thrifty's because it's been so hyped and it's a grocery store and my friend went there on Wednesday and got a free pie. I went in looking for those Chinese chews that Meredith used to always forcefeed us with whenever we went to the Island for regattas, but instead came out with organic tomatillos and spiced gouda cheese. C'est la vie.

I was sorting the recycling to take to the depot and as I opened the garage door I heard a woman call out for her dog and then all of a sudden the thing ran right in. My cat jumped on it and scratched its nose. It yelped and ran back out.

What should it do then but run back into the garage, to where Frick scratched it in the eyes, it yelped and it ran away again, this time into the neighbour's yard where there is a large dog with one hell of an anger problem.

Then it ran back towards the garage and I stepped out between it and Frick so she wouldn't have to attack it again and the stupid thing kept trying to go around me.

The lady finally caught up with the dog and began to put him back on the leash saying "I have no sympathy for him. He deserves all the scratching he got," to which I should have replied "then you won't be upset if I give him a good hard kick."

I really wanted to kick that dog, especially when it was climbing up my leg to try and get at my cat. Does this make me a bad person?