Thursday, April 13, 2006

Sax and violins

There was a point in time when I wanted to call this blog "there's a monster under my blog" and then have a picture of a hideous scary monster at the bottom and maybe one of those uptight women from a 50's horror flick screaming a completely random tagline, to be changed weekly or daily or whenever there's a full moon in Pisces.

I started drawing monsters, but could never quite come up with something that I liked. Sasquatch? Sock? Reptile? That's alright though, because I really don't know enough css to make that work anyways. Pity.

My mother has left me a copy of Tuesday's National Post with an article hilighted in it. It begins:

Pius X, who became pope in 1903, was quick to see the moral danger posed by the saxophone. An audacious composer had written saxophones into a mass and he didn't like it. He prohibited instruments that could cause "disgust or scandal," and everybody knew which one he meant...
Needless to say, I'm intrigued. Ah, sweet saxophone, to be hated by Catholic popes and Nazis alike!

It also reminds me that I need to get new reeds for mine. I haven't played in far too long. I need a bigger mouthpiece too. Hembruff always told me that that would help me play louder. All I know is that the one I have right now just doesn't work for me.

My rowing buddy Eric used to have a sax called Julia. People used to make rude jokes about that. My saxophone was always named Blauhardt. Why? No reason.

Since no one bothered to answer my question yesterday, I found the answer myself. A fond (n) is apparently a collection of documents and things in an archive that came from one source. Good to know.

rock paper scissors
digital photorealism