Friday, April 14, 2006

Conservation



At the moment my father is making fun of my mother for this strange thing that she does where she soaks egg shells in water and then peels the membrane out of the insides of them and then puts the egg shells in a separate compost bucket from the other stuff to be composted.

She says that peeling the membrane out makes them compost better, but I'm not completely sure about that. I'm also not sure why we have to keep eggshells separate from orange peels, when they eventually go to the same compost pile in the back yard anyways.

Anyways, she does this thing and it is weird. It's very obsessive compulsive.

She saves all our rubber bands and twist ties too, which is a good idea. There's no point in buying new ones if you can just recycle old ones that you got for free. However, I'm always struck by the sheer volume of used twist ties and rubber bands that I find in the cupboards and kitchen drawers. Surely we can't possibly use them all. Yet, on the other hand, I find it difficult to throw out useful things too.

My mother's father used to keep these things in plastic containers in the fridge. We only found that out after he died and we had to clean out his apartment. You can only imagine the ridicule she got when we found that out. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all.

I must confess that for all intents and purposes I neither understand nor celebrate Easter. However, it is a good time to take a few days off of what you would have normally been doing and eat some chocolate for which the price has been artificially inflated just for the occasion.

It is also the time of year that we make pudding eggs out of Jello pudding mix and melted chocolate, or as they're affectionately known as in our house, little balls of shit. As much as we try to make them look really nice like they do in the magazine that we originally tore the recipe out of, they never come out looking appetizing.

They sure disappear in a hurry though.