Monday, April 03, 2006

In memoriam, One-eyed Riley

So, I was thinking that I would get a cougar for my apartment because they're so pretty.

I know that I would have to feed it really well, and be with it all the time from kittenhood on, and keep it away from small children and people's pets, and watch my back and walk and neuter it, but it would be fun. On second thought though, I don't really want a cougar. They do a really good job of taking care of themselves in the wild, and I already have a cat that's almost as big.

I wonder why people keep these sorts of things as pets, to be honest. Then again, I wonder why people keep spiders and snakes and rats as pets too. The way I see it, if you let it out of the house and it will probably come back, then it's a good pet. If it won't eat you, it's a good pet. If it notices and seems to like or at least be familiar with you, it's probably a good pet.

My dog, though he was dumb as hell, was a good pet. My cats are good too. I had a rabbit once named Mr. Bumpy who was litter trained and came when you called him and he was awesome.

Fish are different. Sure, they run away sometimes but they never go very far. I used to have a feeder goldfish named One-eyed Riley and he was pretty cool, even though he only lived a lousy seven years. Got pretty big though.

Weatherwise it's been a weird day. In the morning it was bright and kind of raining but not, and then in the evening it was dark and kind of raining, but raining more. I told my mother this using those exact words and all she had to say was that it was profound, very profound, to which I replied: "I'm proud of being so brilliant."

On my way home, the suv beside us suddenly decided in the middle of an intersection during a red light that it would stop and back up. It nearly hit the Beamer behind it, and that had to back up also. Then, as we sat there, the white lights in the back of the suv didn't turn off, and we were hoping that maybe the suv would gun it when the lights changed but no such luck. Whoever it was suddenly realized that it was in reverse and fixed it.

What is it about miserable, rainy, black nights that makes all the jaywalkers come out? They only ever dress in black.

The above photo was printed out as big as your head so I can put it up on my wall, I'm thinking in the hall where the stairs are. Bright and springy, I know. The next batch will be in blues and blacks and whites, I think.

My father still does not believe in the value of digital cameras. "See, look in the corner, there. It's pixellated. It's all blurry." Though, seems to me that pixelated things look square, not blurry, and besides, that part of the photo was supposed to be blurry anyways.

Not that I'm against film or anything. I love the way darkrooms smell.

Ignore the grey stripe at the bottom there. It only exists because I was impatient and didn't let flickr do its job.