Sunday, April 02, 2006

Scrunchee

"Oooh, scrunchies!" Chels exclaimed. I can't remember why. "Remember when we used to all have those little dresses and every one came with a matching scrunchie?"

"God, everything came with a matching scrunchie," Jessica said.

"Or a barette," I added, "or a ribbon... or a barette with ribbons!"

"Yeah," Chels continued, "and I kept all mine in a drawer in my dresser and long after the dresses were gone, the matching scrunchies remained." She raised her eyebrows as if it was some sort of coincidence. "And then there were those skort things. They're like skirts, but they're really shorts..."

"I was definitely a skort girl," I said.

"I wasn't," Jess replied, "I wore those legging things like in bright pink and stuff..."

"In every colour!" Chels said, "And all of them at the same time, like pink and yellow and red."

"And I used to wear them with those big shirts," said Jess, "and I used to have one of those little jumper dresses made out of that knit sweatshirt fabric. It had kittens on the front and lots of sparkles and I used to wear a headband with it..."

"Oh God," I said, "everyone used to wear headbands."

When I was little, my well meaning mother made me a red sweatshirt with a white fuzzy bunny on the front and it had a pink plastic eye. I was the only kid who had a plastic eye that stuck out from her shirt so the first time I wore it, other kids poked it continuously and I was traumatized for life and never wore the shirt again. I didn't didn't feel like sharing that.

"Haven't you noticed that everything that we used to wear as kids is coming back?" Jess asked.

Yes, indeed I have. I fear for the world.