Friday, April 14, 2006

Re: the key to your heart

I had considered leaving this overly-long comment about Kevin's overly-long post about how he can read people by looking at the number of keys they have on their keyring.

Alright, the contents of my keyring are as follows:

5 housekeys.

That sounds excessive, I know. To get into the basement suite in my parents' house you have to go through the garage. One key there. Then you have to go through the laundry room. One key there. Then there is a third lock in a third door that you have to go through, so another key there.

Can't you just use the same keys and locks for all the doors? No, of course not. That would be too easy. That and the people that live upstairs need to get into the garage and laundry room, but not into the basement suite, hence the three keys.

But I said five keys, didn't I? The remaining two are for my apartment. I used to only have one for my apartment. I mistakenly believed that it was a masterkey to all the locks in the building. Well, it was, but only to one of the two locks on the door to my apartment. I found that out the hard way, when someone else locked me out. I only ever use the one lock anyways, but now I have two keys, just in case.

4 bike lock keys.

This too, seems very excessive. It is. It's just that I keep misplacing my bike locks, and everytime that happens, I get a new one. Then I keep the old key on my keyring because I usually find the old one eventually. We do the same thing with scissors.

I don't have a car, so I figure I'm allowed.

2 boathouse keys.

These are the keys that I use to get into the local rowing club, one for the fence, one for the door. The security code I use to get in there happens to belong to someone else, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out exactly how they were assigned, or which one to use. I don't really row there anymore, but sometimes I visit. They don't seem to care that I have the keys so I keep them.

2 keys from work.

Which is odd, because I don't work there anymore. I tried to give them back but they said I could keep them. I guess that was because I lived nearby at the time so they figured that I could keep an eye out on the place or something. It struck me as odd at the time though. It's still odd.

So yeah. What does that say? As much as I rack my brain, it always seems to come out as obsessive compulsive paranoid hyperactive somethingorother. Lovely.

I'm not going to start on my shoes...