Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Unparty

Dancing at festival today turned into one big group hug. Sure, we were all competing against each other but at one point in time we all went to the same school. Either that or we've just gotten used to seeing each other so many times over the past several years.

I didn't place, if that's what you're wondering. That doesn't bother me in the least.

Kathy called me up once again today to tell me how frustrated she is with how immature our friends are. Her birthday is on the 21st so she is trying to get some people together to go out and do something on Saturday to celebrate. This is easier said than done.

The biggest thing bothering her right now, and me as well, is that you ask people if they're coming with you and all you get are maybes, because everyone wants to hold out to see what everyone else is doing first. It's not like they have other commitments. They all just like to wait until 3-4 hours before you're planning to leave to decide whether they're coming or not, so you figure you'll just have to stay home and do nothing.

And then there's the drama. Curtis and Jess just broke up so they don't really want to be anywhere near each other. Do you invite the one who you've known for 14 years, or do you invite the one you see nearly every day and are probably better friends with right now anyways? If you don't invite Jess, there's not much point in inviting Gina because they go together to most things. Angus wouldn't be caught dead near Dani and Craigger right now for some reason or other and the other Craig probably won't come unless Dani is there. Other people you can't invite because though you like them, they'll bring creepy weird friends that grope you when you're drunk. Lauren definitely can't come because she'll relate every minute detail of every stupid thing you did to her parents, who will tell your parents and your parents don't need to know.

It's stupid, all of it.

I think I'll have a party next week. The invitation will read:

Invite yourselves. Show up whenever. Bring booze. Anyone who messes up the carpet will have their left pinkie amputated.
Either that or I'll invite Kathy over so we can be pissed off at our friends and watch the CBC because it's the only channel I get. We had this crazy idea once that we were going to write a novel together for some reason or other. I wonder where that went.

I have gone an entire month without picking at my fingernails once, which is three weeks more than I've ever managed to go. Yay me. Maybe one day I will have reasonably nice looking nails.