Sunday, October 15, 2006

Fries

totem poleI ended up getting abducted by some friends last night. The seatbelt buckles in the backseat of Curt's Mustang are half embedded in the seat, so that they protrude quite a bit, making it pretty uncomfortable to be back there. My question is that in such a car as that, why would they work so hard to make the backseat uncomfortable? Shouldn't it be the opposite?

It must be a puritan conspiracy...

We went to Denny's, honestly. It's not what you think.

Sitting around, we got to remembering things from high school, and most of all, the fries in the cafeteria. To the best of my knowledge, I never once bought from the cafeteria in the four years that I went there. Though she often complained about it, my mom absolutely insisted that she make me a lunch every day of school until my second year of university. Except for the unfortunate month when I had Kraft dinner every day, I always had the absolute best lunches. I digress.

I was talking about fries. To be more exact, we were talking about fries. We used to sit around on the floor and block the hallways under those nauseating rainbow coloured lockers, and Devon would buy fries and then drown them in vinegar. Unsuspecting people would take fries and then their faces would provide cheap entertainment for us. As you sat and ate his sour fries, Devon would slowly untie your shoes, or do something similarly irritating like unpack the contents of your purse and organize it all on the floor.

Long before they decided that cafeteria food had to be healthy, they used to have a poutine combo. That is, poutine with a side order of fries. Now, some may wonder what the point of having fries on the side of poutine is when poutine itself is always at least 80% fries. Angus, however defended the unusual meal choice. God knows why.

At the beginning of grade 10 somebody placed a fry on that tiny ledge at the top of one of the bulletin boards on the wall. At the end of grade 12 it was still there, in pristine condition...

My sister and I are watching the first season of Red Dwarf. Call me a geek, but it's one of the best television shows ever. Sure, I complain about the British a lot, but they do do a good job of humour. That almost makes up for the fact that they don't put cinnamon in with their apple pie. I mean, how on earth can you eat apple pie without spices? How can you eat anything without spices? It just boggles the mind.