Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Some days are just like that

Alert Bay fishing docksI stayed up until 2am knowing full well that I didn't need to go to practice this morning.

Imagine my lack of surprise when sometime around 5:45 this morning I heard Alex's unmistakeable voice calling my name through my mailslot. I lay around for a little while, weighing possibilities, and then decided that I would go.

My first reaction was that I should go open the door and talk to him, but I realized that I've taken up not wearing pyjamas to bed so I turned on the lights to find something appropriate to put on. No point in giving him the wrong impression.

I came up empty, however, so I wrapped myself up in a blanket and then shouted at him out the window. Needless to say, I was in a boat with wonky steering in under fifteen minutes. It's funny how these things happen. It's by no means the first time.

My coach smiled smugly, "I would have gone over myself, but I thought the guys were so much more charming. They would have a better chance," she said.

I came home and almost immediately stubbed my toe. The pain has long since subsided but it is quite purple, which I've never seen my toes do before.

When my prof suggested that we have an in-class debate, people assumed that that would involve splitting the class down the middle and having us argue against each other on a topic. No, it was formal debating rules which meant three on three while the rest of the class watched.

The rebuttals in our debate were pretty crappy because our two teams were on completely different pages. While the other group was obviously better prepared, we won because our position had something to do with the resolution, which was BIRT: Fair trade is a prerequisite for remedying global economic inequalities caused by colonialism and free trade. They argued that free trade is bad because it promotes inequality and we argued that fair trade works on a micro level, but does nothing to change structural inequalities in the global economy. As a result, their rebuttals were non-existent because they just decided not to address our argument at all, and ours ran along the line of "um, they aren't adressing the debate topic with that point so I fail to see how it is relevant to this debate," and "yeah, we agree that free trade is bad, but that's not what we're supposed to be arguing about."

Sometimes things are just like that.