Sunday, October 01, 2006

Hello October

I celebrated the first day of October by pickling some beets. That's pretty much what fall means to me.

pickled beets, pickled onions, pickled pickles, cabbage rolls, soup, chutney, relish, squash and homebaked bread, because it's just so much better than storebought.

It's all so delicious and you eat really well and the house fills up with good smells and you start squirreling things away into the freezer and cupboards for later. The prairie immigrant in me rejoices because there's so much food everywhere.

The only problem with all this is that now that I'm living by myself, I can't possibly eat every single thing I make. It's around this time of year that I entertain stupid ideas like starting a collective with good food, good music and art or even something equally as stupid, like having someone come live with me, like a dog or a boyfriend. They're kind of the same, if you think about it, though a dog is easier to get and more likely to clean up the stuff you spill on the floor.

Maybe I'll have to start feeding my team instead. They can be pretty hungry people.