Monday, June 11, 2007

The twilight zone, or my banking situation.

IMG_5583_1Alright, Kracker asked about the twilight zone...

For reasons which I can not fathom, I'm not paid this year through direct deposit, but by cheque instead, which means it's up to me to go through the extra step of cashing them myself.

That would be fine except that I get home from work at around 6ish every night and at that point in time I'm tired and hungry and I really don't want to go anywhere. Getting to the bank involves taking the bus and a round trip would take me about an hour and a half.

Not to mention, the bank closes at 4:00 and due to renovations and vandalism, they've not only moved the night deposit box somewhere that I don't know about, but they've also put a lock on it. I don't have a key for it because I can't get to the bank before it closes. That means that I can stick them in the ATM machine, I guess, but then it will be at least five days before the cheques get cashed.

I have another bank account but I don't really use it. I got it with a scholarship and stuck $150 in it somewhere around 5 years ago and I haven't really touched it since. I don't even really seem to get regular statements for it because it's so inactive. I don't know what the account number is and I don't have a card for it so I can't really drop my cheques off there after hours either.

So I have a small but growing stack of cheques, money on paper but not in the bank. Pretty much all I can do is look at it.

That, my dears, is the twilight.

I have to go to bed so I'll answer more questions tomorrow.