Friday, August 31, 2007

Everything is good.

IMG_6278_1At the beginning of the summer I was working somewhere where I wasn't particularly happy. I have nothing against the people, really, and I wasn't being screwed over in any way. There doesn't always have to be a reason why you come home tired and feeling crappy and mildly dissatisfied every night. Sometimes it just happens and you can't put your finger on why.

Long story short, I switched jobs and everything about it was awesome and I'm actually kind of sad that I'm leaving because every morning I've worked there I've woken up, hopped in the shower and thought yay, I'm going to work. No complaints about anyone or anything. I have not had a single bad day there and if I wasn't going back to school I'd just stay. I'll go back next summer, if I can swing it.

But still, I know that I really couldn't stay there forever. As much as everything's awesome, I'll get a degree and then I'll be on the lookout for something that actually relates to it and better pay. And to avoid being disowned, I'll be doing a master's degree. And once I have my master's degree I'll be way too overqualified to go back to doing peoples' filing.

You know the scene in A Christmas Carol where Scrooge is looking back at the parties they used to have at Fezziwig's and he's saying that they had so much fun, but they had no money? For some reason it comes to mind.

I'm not sad to be going back to school. I'm taking a bunch of really cool sounding courses, one of which is with the Canada Research Chair in Philosophy of Technology, who as far as I can tell, has not taught an undergrad course for eight years. I've already read the recommended texts and 25% of the assigned readings and they're dense so needless to say I'm soooo psyched.

This semester is going to be soooo good.

My mom used to be obsessed with taking pictures of us on the first day of school. For some reason or other, I felt compelled to grab my camera as I was running out the door in the morning yesterday and I took this. Probably for the same reason as the school photos. I'm just documenting the moment, I guess. It's my penultimate day of work shot.