Wednesday, February 22, 2006

And now the fish slapping dance


I've never been in a class before where the whole point of the lectures and tutorials is to tell you repeatedly how to do the assignments. I hate going to tutorial only to have the TA lecture on something and then say that everything he's just said will be repeated in the lecture.

Last night I had a long conversation with John. I was paddling an inflateable dinghy around Lost Lagoon and he just sort of appeared out of nowhere. He's done well for himself, it seems. "I've got a claim up north," he said, "placer mining".

"But I thought that there isn't really any gold left in the Yukon," I said, "the best claims were staked like a hundred years ago."

"Not there," he said.

"The Caribou then? No gold left there either."

"Do you honestly think I would tell you where it was?"

"No, not really. Just don't turn out like my uncle. He was crazier than shit. Used to keep gold nuggets in mason jars and used fifty and hundred dollar bills as underlay for his carpets."

"Um, I won't."

"This is all about not thinking about Faye, isn't it?" I shouldn't have said the f word, because that was when he left the conversation, though to be fair, he had been levitating over the water and the breeze came up so that could have been the reason too...

I have weird dreams.