Thursday, February 23, 2006

Lou

My cat just had a massive seizure on one of the chairs in the living room. The first time it happened a few years ago I was shocked and upset. Now they don't even phase me.

Sometimes when she's asleep something short circuits in her brain and she begins to convulse violently and then she falls on the floor where the only sounds you hear are her head and claws smashing repeatedly into the laminate and shallow, raspy breathing. She usually pees all over herself and foams at the mouth leaving herself in a crumpled mess on the floor and then she lays there, very still, with her eyes wide and glazed over.

When she finally wakes up, she's very disoriented and I always try to clean her up a bit with a towel, which makes her growl because she's so sore. Then she wanders around the house mewing for a while because she's upset and dirty. Poor girl. She then disappears for a few hours and later emerges as if nothing happened.

Nothing shocking about that. It's the reason why every piece of furnature in the house has a heavy quilt on it, that's all. It's also the reason why I suddenly have plenty of laundry to do.

I checked my email this morning to find that my only class today has been cancelled. Technically I have a meeting in less than an hour but it'll have to pass. There's no way for me to get there and besides, I'm not exactly dressed yet, and unless I find a good reason to, I don't intend to be. It's just not one of those days.

I am, at the moment, fighting the urge to go back to bed. I could really use the sleep but I figure that the more sleep I get now, the less I will get at night, though it's probable that I won't get any sleep tonight either. I think I'd probably be much more at home in another time zone, somewhere in central Europe but I'd probably be an insomniac there too. It's just stress, that's all. I'll get over it eventually.