Tuesday, February 07, 2006

There's always garbage bags

"Have you done anything about your costumes yet?" Donna asked.

"No, we haven't," one of us said, completely prepared for a lecture about how we should practice and take more responsibility or something.

"I was at Rocco's the other day looking at saris and I saw these nice tops..."

And that was when my brain shut itself off. I figured listening would only make it worse. We all know what Abby thinks about Donna's sense of style, now we're going to hear what I think:

Donna is a really nice woman, she is. However, she's a little old-fashioned. No, fuck it, she's very old fashioned. That's not always a bad thing though. I think it's nice that she believes that girls under the age of say, 10 shouldn't dress like whores. Some of their costumes are downright cute.

I hate to say it, but she's got an old lady's sense of style. That means colour combinations that will make your stomach turn and any combination of sequins, beads and frilly lacy shit. If Donna ruled the world, we would all be wearing our pants with the waistbands wedged firmly in our armpits with a top that is sufficiently shapeless to hide the fact that you may possibly have breasts.

And while this sort of thing looks great on old ladies, I'm not old and I resent looking like a shapeless bag. I see no reason why my skin has to be covered up from my neck to my ankles to my wrists. My elbows aren't that offensive to look at, are they?

For once I want a costume that is a nice colour and is flattering enough to not make me look 40 lbs heavier and 40 years older than I am. Is that too much to ask?

"And these tops, they have all these beads and they're long and flowy, and I think they would look very nice and they're only five dollars each but I didn't want to buy them in case you didn't like them..."

At that moment I should have said something to the effect of "You should have bought the damn things, because it doesn't matter what we get, we'll hate it, so you may as well have made it painless as possible." But I didn't. I kind of regret that now.

She said something about green. Maybe a garbage bag would be appropriate...