Monday, March 13, 2006

Clever Swedes

It seems like all roads lately have led somehow or other to Ikea, as sad as that sounds, and as always, trips to Ikea tend to be unique experiences. I'm sure the Swedes plan it that way. Them and their clever marketing.

Today it was like Cirque du Soleil in there. Cabinets, endtables, kitchenwares and children in leotards on unicycles. They were apparently recruiting but I think I'll pass. I'm a little too old to start being an acrobat and too female and weak to be the world's strongest man. I know, excuses, excuses.

I saw the coolest looking family in the cafeteria though. A really huge black man and a really short Chinese woman with children who looked Chinese, but had huge afros. Not a very common combination, to say the least. I would have taken a picture but I thought it would be rude. I live in a pretty neat day and age that stuff like that can happen without it causing problems.

After it all, I emerged relatively unscathed and surprisingly enough, with only the things that I had gone there to get. I am now the proud owner of one of those rack thingies that goes under the kitchen cupboards that I'm going to hang my mugs off of. The cupboards are a little too high for near-midgets like me and there's not enough space on the counters for the mugs so it makes sense. Chock that one up to the Swedes being clever again.

I suppose I could have made something similar out of wood or metal. After all, I got a new torch yesterday and I'm pretty eager to play with it but fact is, I don't really have the time right now. I have three papers to write between now and Thursday morning, so I really should work on that right now.

I need:
- mustard, but not the kind people put on hotdogs. that stuff's awful
- an extension cord or two, but the three prong ones, not the two prong ones because I can't plug my computer into them
- a new loofah because somehow or other I forgot to get one today and my old one is, well, old
- laundry detergent. I don't need to begin to explain to myself why I need that.

Don't let me forget.

A while ago some suction cup rubber ducks appeared on my shower wall. This may have been my mother's doing. Hovever, I think the ducks might actually be for sticking on the bathtub so you don't slip and die while you're having a shower, because one by one, the little ducks have fallen off the wall. Hence, my ducks are no longer in a row. I'll have to fix that...