Friday, March 24, 2006

Correspondences

I hear Mr. Dressup singing upstairs right now. I seem to remember that when he died in 2001, some of us in highschool felt substantially more affected by it than by the attacks on the World Trade Centre seven days earlier.

Not that we're callous and unfeeling people. No, it has to do with proximity. Ever heard of the Afghanistan complex? Here, one death in Vancouver is as big as 4 in Toronto and 10, maybe in New York, 50 in France and 500 in Afghanistan. Something like that. But Mr. Dressup was like family to so many of us so that made him even more important to some, I guess.

Or maybe it was just that the sudden loss of a fixture of all our childhoods was somehow more important than the undoubtedly important things that we were seeing on tv at the time. I don't know.

Got an email from a friend saying Hey Erin, you spelled my name wrong on the website happyface, to which I replied Sorry about that, I'll fix it right away happyface, to which he replied thanks happyface. And all's well.

He looks kind of like a goldfish.

Sometimes I wonder about some of my other email though. Got a message from God the other day and he said that he was playing a club in Auckland. I replied with much regret that I couldn't make it.

I got a different one that simply said:

Liked your blog so much, I decided to eat the person next to you. Good luck, hope you survive. (incidently, bad neighborhood)
I can only imagine that he was talking about Urban Dead, which I must say is one of the most addicting games I've found on the internet to date. Maybe I'm just easily amused.

I have so many ideas for projects I want to do over the summer and it really irritates me that there's still so much school between now and then. Two weeks is far too long.