Sunday, March 05, 2006

Next week they take on the bowling alley with those bumper things in the gutters

We were sitting around one evening, talking to each other on msn, when we decided that we should go and do something social, like, you know, interaction with other human beings in person, instead of being complete losers on the internet every waking hour of the day. Someone suggested that we do something that no one's done for a long time and a few things like lazer tag and bowling were suggested. Finally someone decided on skating, because no one can remember going skating since sometime during elementary school.

I have vivid memories of having to do all my homework and not have any overdue library books at elementary school to be able to go with the rest of my class to the ice rink for a couple of hours. At least fourty minutes of that would be spent trying on three or four different sizes of rental skates because naturally I didn't know which one to get in the first place. The rest of the time would be spent shuffling around in circles, holding onto the sideboards trying to keep myself up, while my friends tried unsuccessfully to teach me how to skate and my ankles got very, very sore.

Not much has changed.

I decided to go because yes, indeed, I have a death wish.

I arrived fashionably late at the rink to find that only Devon and Chani had bothered to show up. Everyone elses' loss. While lacing up our skates, we all agreed that we would all suck equally as much because none of us had gone skating for at least seven years.

So what happens? We all got onto the ice and Devon crashed into things, I looked knock-kneed and Chani was a pro. I mean, look at her:

Clearly a pro. Twit.

Then, after an hour and a half of good old-fashioned, non-alcoholic fun, we wandered over to the pub across the street for a little of the other kind. I then walked home and took enough pictures to keep this blog going for the next couple of weeks. Good thing too, I was running out.