Thursday, March 02, 2006

Espagnol es muy cerveza

My poor mother.

She's going as a chaperone on a school trip to Mexico with my sister in a few days and she bought a little spanish phrasebook to help her get around. She was sitting in bed watching tv and not paying attention to where she opened the book.

Naturally, the first phrase on the page she opened to was "I just can't get it up, sorry," which shocked her because she hadn't really expected to find that in a travel phrasebook.

"All I really wanted," she said, "was to be able to ask for directions and vegetarian options on the menu and things.

"Besides," I replied, "that's not the type of phrase that you can remember when you actually need it."

"Besides," she added, "that sort of thing transcends language anyways. Sorry or not, that'd be kind of self evident, wouldn't it?"

Infinite wisdom, as always.

They say cats take after their owners, but sometimes I think it's the other way around...