Monday, March 06, 2006

Reason

My mother and sister are leaving for Mexico next week. They run around packing things and discussing. At some point in time my mother suddenly realizes that she can't find the usb cord for her camera and begins to panic. She searches around for it and the search becomes a three-way yelling match between her, my sister and father, one that I try hard not to be included in, though that in itself is pretty difficult to do when I'm in the same room.

Turns into a much larger yelling match than it should have been, my father yelling that she should just go buy another one because they probably only cost five dollars or so and finally my mother giving up looking for it and yelling back that she will go to the store tomorrow and buy another one.

I wait until the storm dies down a little to explain to her that she should wait until after they get back before she goes out and gets a new usb cord because they're definitely more expensive than five dollars and they also have to order those sorts of things in because every camera and electronic thing has a completely different usb cord so they don't usually keep them all in stock.

I said that maybe when everyone's a little calmer, someone will find it because it's not the type of thing that any of us would throw out. Yelling at each other rarely helps solve the problem.

Besides, it is very distracting while I'm trying to work on my term papers.

She finally agrees that it is a good idea. After all, all the pictures that are on the camera are also on the computer, so she can just delete them and not worry about it until she fills up the card.

A few minutes later she moves some things around in her room and voila! There it is! "Sometimes you sound just like me," she mumbles, giving me a hug, "and you do it more and more the older you get. I'm not sure if that's always a good thing."