Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Squished


My friend Lauren left a message for me during class today and I called her back a little over an hour ago. There was nothing really in the voice but I could tell right away what it was. She wants to move in with me. How did I see that one coming?

And if it was up to me, I would probably say yes, even though I'm not completely sure if my apartment needs a sudden influx of perky ueber Catholicness. She's someone I get along fairly well with and she's got a good job. Seeing as the rent is for all intents and purposes negligable and I get free electricity and phone, it wouldn't be much of a problem for both of us, and I might actually be able to start to put away a reasonable amount towards my escape to Norway fund.

But then again, there's only one bedroom. True, the place is obviously big enough for two, but it kind of looks like that means two people who sleep with each other. There are ways to work around that though.

The bigger thing is that yes, I have my cool penthouse apartment thing and I live in it, but it's not like I moved out or anything. It only looks like that. No, my apartment is actually an additional room in my parents' house. You didn't know that, did you?

I have my very own apartment so that my father can come over and work on that fucking puzzle until at least 8:30 at night, and later when it's not a school night.

I have my very own apartment so that people can come over, cook things, dirty all the dishes so that when I get home, I find that they haven't made anything for me except extra work.

I have my very own apartment so that people can come home and turn on the tv just to distract the hell out of me and then say that it must be a good place to study. It sure is at 4am.

No, I haven't moved out at all.

But what gets me is how I'm supposed to be more independent and pay my own way and such. I mean, I moved to a separate city. Is there something else that I'm supposed to do that I wasn't aware of? I mean, other than being rude, though somehow talking civilly doesn't work.

I told her I'd run it by them though I'm completely certain they'll say no.