Sunday, March 12, 2006

Fire!

Half an hour ago I was sitting in my apartment, minding my own business when all of a sudden I heard what sounded like a gunshot or an explosion of sorts. When I looked outside, camera in hand, this is what I saw:


I nearly made the mistake of dialing an area code for the fire department because by now Telus has made sure that the (604) and (778) is firmly ingrained in my mind.


"There seems to be a rather large fire in my yard. Could you send me a fire truck please?" I asked the operator, and told her the city, but forgot where exactly I lived. Remember, I've only sort of moved in but I don't really live there much.


Remember also that when asked, I often have difficulty remembering my birthday, age, which class I'm supposed to be in at a particular time and people's names. This makes me the worst possible person to be calling 911 in an emergency. I'm far better at first aid. You just have to hope that whenever I'm doing serious first aid that there's someone around to call an ambulance because I'll most likely forget.


Lucky for the world, I have the sense to only call 911 from landlines, so by the time I finally figured out my adress, the operator had long since tracked it and dispatched someone. "Thank-you very much," I said to her when she told me that. I'm always unnecessarily polite on the phone. Not that that's a bad thing. The lady was pretty polite herself.


Very shortly after I hung up, a fire truck arrived. Thus ends the unscheduled entertainment for the evening. Back to my homework.