Sunday, March 19, 2006

Ivory tower

Some days I'm amazed at the bizarre ways people get to this site. Someone found me through google today with the searchwords "mistint paint vancouver", which linked to this post. Other people come in search of "pistachio pudding", lured in by the numerous times in the past where I've confessed my obsession with the food. Alas, they were probably looking for this video.

But some I just have to wonder about. One time a couple of weeks ago, someone in India somehow landed here with a search for "consequense of separation without divorce in India". I was a little disturbed, so I searched all around my archives to try and figure out how and why a search term like that would point to my blog and came up empty.

I searched google and yahoo for the same thing and came up empty too. There is absolutely nothing relevant that I could see on that subject to be found by searching in that way.

I know that if I was looking for something on that topic, I'd search for it through the article indexes and databases that I have a subscription to through school. Probably ones about Sociology or Women's Studies would be my best bet. A quick search on the Women's Studies International database brings a little over 250 articles on the subject, and it is one of many places I could try. No doubt I'd be able to find books and news too, if I bothered to look, but a general google search would be the last place I'd try.

Today I'm glad that I have both the access to so much information and enough education to be able to find and use it when I need it. It is sad that there are so many people out in the world that don't have that privelege.

I sincerely hope that whoever found me through that search is well and found the information that they need.